4.06.2010

that kind of day

The kind where the snow falls gently outside while a steaming latte sits next to the laptop. Soft music wafts through the coffee house and every now and then a blast of chilled air is felt as a new customer walks in, stomping the slush off their boots, and settling into their own state of bliss. Yes, I found my very own safe haven. Like a beacon in the night, I can spot a coffee house from miles away.

Yesterday was an eventful day. Just after we woke up and settled on the couch with our own cups of Foldger's best (oh, by the way, we're rewinding and are at Ricky's at this point in time...) we remembered how poorly the three of us together manage time. That said, we spent the better part of the day having breakfast (love dive diners) and staking out REI. It was early afternoon when we thought we should pack up and get the heck out of dodge...so we loaded up the 'snowmachines' (as they call them up here) and took off south.

Ricky has amazing patience when answering all my questions. Some dumber than others, he always has an answer: Yes, Reindeer sausage is actually made out of Reindeer; No, we will not see penguins; No, there is not an alarming rate of people-killed-by-moose-rammings; No, I'm not a complete idiot for not packing hiking boots; Yes, moose will travel in groups, but only when they're not alone...you get the idea. Me asking questions is the majority of most of our car trips, I think Mr. Nick finds them amusing and not old or tiresome at all...tee hee...

Anywho, we stopped at Turnagin Pass to take the sleds out and play a little. I say 'take the sleds out' because we're driving around in a cube van, not a vehicle and trailer. I was a little apprehensive as the visibility was terrible at best, and I had no idea what the lay of the land looked like. Even with tinted goggles the fact it was snowing fairly consistently and it was completely overcast made it hard to see the different between a cornice and a flat area or if there was a drop off. Crazy. But, better to try now than wish you would have later, right!? I rode with Nick and it was SWEET! Nothing like snowmobiling around home, the snow was soft and all over the place. Ricky said that we were on probably 12-14 feet!!! I tried it myself and got stuck twice, which doesn't take much. It was fantastic (I'll post all photos later-forgot my card reader back at the homestead).

After playing around for a while, we packed up the sleds and drove into Seward (not 'Steward', 'Stewart', or 'Seaweed' as Ricky has continually corrected me) for dinner and to stay overnight. As I'm typing this, the boys are out riding somewhere along Lost Lake trail (three people on two snowmachines is not optimal for fun riding) and I'm back in Seward, occupying my time as I see fit.

Boring post with no images, I know, but I just had to give an update for those curious about Alaska vacations. Seward is an awesome town--nestled between the mountains right beside the Resurrection River, it's a fantastically photogenic. However, today is incredibly overcast with dense fog, but I hold out hope that it will clear soon so I can go exploring!!!


Photobucket

No comments: